Landscape architecture adopts creative design and expression in direct representation and in regard to specific outdoor areas. The benefits of utilizing landscape architecture are many, and it is done in a purposive way with specific intentions. Here are a few:
- Nature Preservation
Aside from the aesthetic pleasantries of trees and plants, research shows that humans benefit psychologically from being around elements of nature. The study in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health showed that participants who walked through forested areas daily showed decreased negative moods. Because of the innate desire to feel connected to and preserve nature even when in an urban area, shrubbery is often included in plans for major cities all around the world. Landscape architecture has gained streamlined prominence over the years as more people are realizing the importance of preserving the environment. Landscape architecture specialists are knowledgeable in sectors involving modern solutions for various environmental problems, mitigated to protect ecology and national monumental treasures.
- Regeneration of Polluted Areas
Industrialization in different parts of the world has resulted in increased pollution. Factories promote economic growth and create jobs. However, waste products from the facilities have a negative impact on the environment. Did you know that if a factory emits carbon on a regular basis, causing mass pollution, this will more than likely make nearby areas unsuitable for years to come following facility closure. Landscape architects can offer solutions to help fix and often even negate the negative effects of pollution, essentially creating a net-zero scenario.
- Wetland Protection
Climate change has resulted in the reduction of freshwater supply in many areas around the globe. Wetlands are critical to environmental health and longevity as they help filter storm water and control flooding. Landscape architects can offer insights needed to protect wetlands and to manage storm water naturally.
Branches of Activity in Landscape Architecture
There are several sectors warranting specialties in landscape architecture. These segments are combined to promote land usage and attractiveness. The following are some of the main areas of specialization in landscape architecture:
- Site Planning – This involves determining the most efficient use of land. Landscape architecture specialists will also consider the appearance of land during site planning.
- Urban Design Contributions – This involves planning for the ideal location of urban infrastructure. Landscape architecture is helpful when determining the placement of roads and buildings in urban areas. Experts consider various natural and geographic features when coming up with applicable designs.
- Land Development – This involves planning for the facilitation of large areas based on geographical locations and other factors.
- Sustainable Development – This type of design and development helps to create eco-friendly and sustainable infrastructures with the environmental future in mind.
- Coastal Design and Development – Oftentimes, mitigation is drastically needed offshore to maintain land structure.
- Pedestrian Schematics – Collaboration is often needed from landscape architects in direct relation to pedestrian walkways and structural design for increased optimization.
Specific Landscape Architect Service Offerings
- Site Design
- Master Planning
- Irrigation Design
- Landscape Design
- Plaza and Paving Design
- Grading and Drainage Plans
- Site and Landscape Remodel
- Cost Estimating and Budgeting
- Construction Administration
- Permitting and City Approvals
- Illustrative and Graphic Design
- Signage and Gateway Design
By utilizing advanced and established software along with evolutionary technological adaptations, we are able to functionally and effectively offer design, project oversight, and cost management.
“From small roof gardens to large scale planning and design, we work responsively with our clients, project team and contractors to develop relationships that create sustainable sensitive design solutions.” [McNeil Engineering]
Providing clients with technical guidance and creative design goes far beyond an initial consultation and into the depth of the ongoing project. Understanding the nuances and intricacies of the industry allows for an optimized project implementation from inception to completion in both the private and public sectors.
McNeil Engineering has decades of experience derived from site engineering and landscape architecture with subjects including churches, hospitals, universities, parks, businesses, apartment buildings, residential areas and restaurants, to name a few. Landscape architecture goes well beyond the visual components and into the creative design and expansive understanding of structural integration.
McNeil Landscape Architecture
Designing structures, landmarks and outdoor areas in the general sense for environmental, social and aesthetic purposes becomes the personalized mission with the acceptance of every individualized project we decide to take on. Providing clients with a knowledgeable staff that acts as a partnership throughout the duration of the project is essential to success, efficiency and a streamlined work flow. We work with a precision that allows for cost effectiveness and procedural design direction. If you have any questions about landscape architecture on a larger scale or are interested in project implementation, please feel free to contact us today!